Hello new world!

This is my first blog, ever.

I have decided to do this partly because I am spending ridiculous portion of my free time online consuming information about health, sugar-free, low-carb, gluten-free, low-GI cooking and general well-being and also in part because of this “experiment” I am conducting for myself to find what mix in my life keeps me the happiest and healthiest.

The catalyst for The Experiment happened in Oct of last year. I went to see a naturopath. I’d had the flu pretty badly twice in 6 months and felt there must be something I could do to boost my immune system… So off I trotted to Fiona the Naturopath, at Melbourne Anti-Ageing Clinic.

I am not sure what I expected the outcome of my first visit to be really but I don’t think I expected it to be a complete overhaul of diet and to be having discussions about the types of cancers, degenerative conditions and autoimmune diseases I was putting myself at risk of by not putting diet at the top of my priority list.

I work in a pretty intense and fast paced industry. I could honestly tell you I’ve been feeling stressed to varying degrees for about 80% of my working life (remaining 20% was when I was on annual leave, haha). And bless the straight talking Fiona, she leans over to me, points her finger and says over the top of her glasses “the stress in your life has done cellular damage to your body. You need to find a way to address this.”

And so I fully embraced Fiona’s prescribed new diet. High protein for improved muscle mass. Low carb and low GI for weight loss and more consistent blood sugar levels, and no sugar.

Man, the first week and a half was tough! I had a headache for the duration. And my new diet called for a complete reversal of my normal eating of pasta and rice based meals, my large lattes with 2 sugars and toast based breakfasts.

But I dropped a bit of weight and I did start feeling more energised.

I see eating this way as an ongoing review process. Reviewing what I am eating ongoing, thinking creatively about recipes and having the balance there to still go out and enjoy dinners with friends without being the annoying person at the table with all the diet restrictions!

The more recent focus on my health has been exercise.

I had been doing pilates once or twice a week to address a back injury I had 12 months ago (another bi-product from living a stressed life I believe.)

For the last 3 months I was fortunate enough to have a break between work contracts, I did pilates or yoga 6 days out of 7 and felt amazing. Fitness aside I felt so much calmer, experienced less of those anxious moments and those gloomy days we are all susceptible too were short lived and infrequent.

To date this experiement has fascinated me. Specifics aside I had no idea how diet can improve so many facets of my life. I now eat to be happy! And I am proud of how I’ve been able to change so many “bad habits” — I think the strongest measure of these changed habits was my morning addiction to my large coffee with 2 sugars which I cut down day one to small, skim and half a sugar. My one remaining vice — but a healthier version.

And so I kick off this blog – I want to collate the recipes and information I find from trawling the internet, and now I have just started a new job I want a continual reminder that this experiment needs to remain a priority.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: